When we buy a new Android phone, one thing that bothers us the most is unnecessary apps that come pre-installed with the phone and the worst thing is we cannot even uninstall those apps. These are called bloatware and manufacturing companies don’t want you to remove preinstalled apps from Android for their reasons. But for us many of them are just headaches and we don’t even use most of those apps.
So without wasting time let’s come to our main question:
How to Remove Preinstalled Apps From Android Phones?
There are basically ways people remove preinstalled apps on Android. I’ll discuss all of them briefly but the easy one in detail. So let’s start.
People who have advanced knowledge of technology often root their phone to do things like removing bloatware that we cannot do normally. It requires advanced skills of Linux systems and Android. You should also have experience of working on Command Line Interface.
If you root your phone first of all your warranty will get expired. And second and the most important thing, if you do anything wrong your phone may die. Also, rooting phones increases security issues if not handled well. So be careful.
Installing Custom ROM
Android is based on Linux and Linux is open source and so Android is also open source. People often install customized ROM to their phone. This is an amazing way because you can have a fully customized experience and you can also add features of your desire.
But there is a problem. Again you will have advanced knowledge of Linux and open source. Also, you’ll have to spend hours to perform this action.
ADB is the best, easy and safest way to remove preinstalled apps from Android. Because, you won’t violate any warranty policy of the manufacturing company.
Also, you don’t require that much level of skill. Just follow the steps and you’ll get rid of bloatware.
How To Remove Preinstalled Apps from Android Using ADB?
ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge. It is a tool for developers to debug their apps. But we’ll be using this tool to uninstall and remove bloatware from our phone. I have divided the entire process into two parts to make it easy to understand.
- So, at first you will have to enable developers option in your phone. If you have already enabled it you can skip this step. And if not, follow:
- Go to settings
- Scroll down and click on About Phone option
- Now, tap on the Software information option.
- There you will see the Build number. Tap 5-6 times and that’s it. Developers option is enabled.
- Go to settings
- Now, again go to settings and search for developer’s option.
- There in developer’s option, you will see USB Debugging option. Enable it.
- Now connect your smartphone through USB and allow it to access transfer media files.
- In the second part you will have to download ADB on your PC.
- After downloading, extract the files.
- Now, open the folder that you have just extracted.
- Now, right click anywhere and click on Open command window here.
- Now, type command adb devices and hit enter. If you haven’t made any mistake, your devices will be listed there.
- Type another command adb shell and hit enter.
- Finally it’s time to kill the zombies I mean bloatware. To do so type command:
pm uninstall -k –user 0 <app package name>
For example: If you want to remove Youtube then type:
pm uninstall -k –user 0 com.google.android.youtube
Note: To get the package name of all installed apps, install App Inspector from Play store.
There are many apps that are important for the phone to function. You should be careful while uninstalling apps. Don’t remove system apps otherwise your phone may stop working.
Only remove bloatware or preinstalled unnecessary apps that you don’t use.
How to install ADB on a Linux system?
To install ADB on a Linux system type command:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
Is ADB safe for the PC as well as the phone?
Yes, ADB is a Google product for developers.
Is it legal to remove preinstalled apps?
Yes, you’re the owner of your phone and no one can force you to keep any app in your phone.
I don’t know why companies force us to keep apps in our phones that we don’t want to use. We are paying the price for the phone and we should decide which app we want to use.
Well, your one of the biggest questions about how to remove preinstalled apps from Android is answered. Now you are free from these stupid apps. Share this article with your friends and families and help them to remove preinstalled apps from android.